Friday, August 7, 2009

Weekly Post 8/2/09 - 8/8/09

Weekly Post

oh God, I have ADDHD I can't get a darn thing done... (yes that is a prayer.... )

Things I have recycled (saved from the grubby hands of the land fill)
THIS WEEK..
  1. Plastic grocery bag holder and bags
  2. Stationary and envelopes
  3. Scale - yes, now I know how much I weigh
  4. Smoke detector 7/28/09 IT WORKS AND WAS IN IT'S ORIGINAL BOX
  5. Pink Polo tennis shoes
  6. Green/Pink Beach Towel (lane and high)
  7. 5 cans of Dr. Pepper
  8. MultitudesAluminum cans - too many to list-Big bag o' cans
  9. 4 canned food items ( huh? why do people throw away canned food?)
  10. Bath Towels - 5 white one's (for goodness sake, they are whiter than the one's I purchased (yes, I need to explain to my children that the White bath towels are not to be used for really dirty things - but, I really want to know how people keep their clothes white - I can't seem to do it)
  11. Ohio State Hoodie (yes, there is some clothing I DO NOT TOUCH)
  12. Sheets - I use them for drop cloths for messy home repair work -
  13. Nickle (5 cents), pennies (8 cents)
  14. 5 bottles of water (water my urn plants wit 'em then recycle the bottle)
  15. Trash (Cans, paper, cups, bottles, receipts, etc...I always pick up trash on the street I live on)
  16. Adidas Perfume
  17. Net laundry bag
This leads me to this question: what do you say to someone when you see them litter? Someone who you think is littering intentionally...
Here is a list of responses I have done with all different kinds of reactions:
  • Oh, excuse me, you dropped something.... and then I hand it to them or point to it
  • Hey, you dropped something
  • Yo, the @!!*& 'n world is NOT your trash can....
Please let me know what has worked for you... it makes me screaming mad when I see it.

Okay so you're wondering what do I do with this stuff.... one of four things
  1. Keep it and use - this drives my husband mad! (Among all the other quirks of mine he puts up with - God bless him)
  2. Give to thrift store or local Settlement Houses and get a tax deduction (now that is a win, win)
  3. Post on www.freecycle.com and contribute - I do let them know where I got it
  4. Give directly to someone I know
My Rules
I always hose down, wash on hot (have nothing to lose) or put into the dishwasher. They don't come into the house until I can do this (now my neighbors know why sometimes there is stuff in the yard or on the porch). IF I touch it, I dispose of it properly.

And then you're wondering... its so gross, how does she do it.
The greatest invention is hand sanitizer and those small bottles for your purse or bike basket. I have a large one in the car :-) .

Mileage: Not enough this week so far, 35 bike miles

4 comments:

mike said...

Riddle: What do you do to keep your wife from peddling her ass all over town. Answer: Take away her bicycle

Unknown said...

I love you Di and always will. You see beauty and value when some would just toss aside! As for your self description.....If you are "old" it is in mind only- p.s I now have bikini beach shots to counter/blackmail.

Will said...

What do I say when I see an obvious intentional litterer?

"My Priest (or Minister) said you dropped this... So, HERE! PIECE be with you. (I usually add "Num-Nuts" or "Lard-Ass" as a friendly endearment... as I growl, froth-at-the-mouth, and thrash-about wildly. But you do what you're comfortable with. Oh, and sometimes I duct-tape impact explosives to the bottom of my shoes for emphasis at the end. You need good shoes for this though. :)

Sonya said...

Diane-
This is great! I will have to give you my copy of Carl Hiaasen's book Sick Puppy---hilarious fiction introduced to me by Adam. The hero in the story does some really nasty stuff to litterbugs. You'll laugh out loud at it!
Sonya

Today's Quote:

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. -- New England proverb