Wednesday, August 3, 2011

June isn't a good month for me

Just when I was getting into the swing of things riding again, and even recycling some items along the 10.5 mile way, it all came to a quick halt!  On June 21st I left the house at 8:00 am and about two blocks away, at the end of my street, my bike kicked me off!  Like it was a bull. 

 

The front wheel came to a complete halt suddenly, the rear wheel came over my head, and I went forward over the handle bars.  All I really remember is seeing my hands hit the pavement in front of me and then looking at my bike laying in the street in the opposite direction I was going.  Then, holy crap,  my arms hurt.  The neighbor in the car behind me I think had PTSD!  He kept saying “I’ve never seen such a thing! Your back wheel went over your head”.  I then sent him along his way to work and I walked home.  I walked in the house and said “Mike, please get my bike it is down on the sidewalk, Michael please get me 4 ice packs – frozen veggies, anything cold” and walked to the cabinet, took 3 Ibuprofen, and lied on the couch.  I applied the ice packs to my wrists and to my elbows.  After about 30 minutes I couldn’t stop the tears I went to my doctor.  The result was two broken Radius – one broken at the neck and one at the head – neither displaced (thank god).  Later that day I went to the ER and they almost put me into two arm casts from bicep to wrist …… but I was saved by an intern that called the Orthopedic doctor she worked for.  He said “I’ve already seen her x-rays (my doctor tried to get me into an orthopedic instead of the ER first) and tell her to move both arms as much as possible today”.  I thought “what is he smoking” I couldn’t move either arm.  So I went home in a sling with a Percocet prescription.  Yup, I took those that night! 

 

A group of Co-workers made me meals for the 4 days I was home in bed.  They were so thoughtful – They even collected a few bucks for some take out! So nice.

 

After four weeks my left arm was still bent.  I was quite depressed.   I had to go to therapy to stretch it out…the doctor said on my 2nd week visit “if you can’t straighten it out by next Friday then you might never again… call me for a therapy prescription if this is the case. 

 

I’ve been to Physical Therapy thus far twice… Physical Therapy (aka Susan)  Straightened out the left arm on the first appointment.  Dang it hurt.

 

Yesterday was six weeks. 

 

I don’t think I’ll be up for riding my bike for a few more weeks, sad to say.  I do have some stories I didn’t indulge you in previously I can write about… I think I’ll try to write them out within the next few days.

June 2008 I was laid off work, June 2011 I was laid up!


Disposal of OLD Drugs Correctly

To find a nearby collection site, visit www.GetSmartAboutDrugs.com and click on the "Got Drugs?" icon or call 1-800-882-9539. 

 

No comments:

Today's Quote:

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. -- New England proverb